Top 14 from '14

I'm sure most of you by now have heard the DJ Earworm Mashup "United State of Pop 2014." Somewhere between the fourteenth snippet of "Shake it off" and Katy Perri's "Dark Horse" (wasn't it released in 2013?!) I started getting really depressed with last year's Billboard top 40. Also, nice modulation into "Fancy" Earworm...that was super seamless. Is this seriously what America thinks are the anthems of 2014? I remember everyone posts for the new year celebrating how EPIC 2014 was and I certainly agree. Our music needs to match those sentiments.


So without further ado (since I know we're basically in mid-January) I give you my Top 14 of '14 Spotify playlist. I hope that 10 years from now when I look back on the year I lived in Louisville and the year I moved to TX and the year I bought a 3D Printer that I'll think of these songs as a soundtrack to those life events:


Control- Broken Bells This song was my summer anthem. The first time I heard them on the public Louisville music station, WFPK I was hooked. A minor key, psychedelic rock, yummy low electric hooks, and clean vocals makes a perfect retro-pop classic.

Supernova- Ray LaMontagne  Loved this song so much I made a Pandora station after it (putting it right up there with TLC Creep and Holiday Sufjan Stevens). I close my eyes and see images of flower crowns while listening to this lighthearted bluesy tune. Plus, how can you turn down that subtle rasp?

West Coast- Lana Del Rey I gotta admit: I've got mixed feeling about Del Rey's voice. On one hand she's so unique and memorable. On the other hand, she kind of annoys me when I hear too much of her. But this song uses a sharp rhythm juxtaposed with a swaying chorus that haunts my whole person.

Blue Moon- Beck I got into this song while Trent was commuting every weekend to Cleveland and I was unemployed and worrying at home. I know it's a little mellow dramatic, but these lyrics comforted me through my solo days: "I'm so tired of being alone/ these penitent walls are all I've known/ Songbird calling across the water/ Inside my silent asylum."

Sweet Amarillo- Old Crow Medicine Show I think this tune would have made the top 14 even without hearing it because I love OCMS so much. But to know that this is a completion of a Bob Dylan's 40-year-old lick it just genius to me. 

Take Me to Church- Hozier One of the few hits in my list, Hozier is one of my favorite new faces of Alternative Rock. His booming fire-and-brimstone soul voice fused with edgy garage-rock matched perfecting with it's ironic and rebellious lyrics.  

Water Fountain- tUnE-yArDs Written by a girl who used to work as a puppeteer, Merrill Garbus is a woman after my own heart. Pitchfork says it best: "She's an introvert's nightmare, and all she wants is for you to open your heart and sing."

Wrong & Right- June Cat This is actually created by two friends of mine, Colin Hatch and Taylor Olsen. They released six songs last year and I can't tell you how impressed I was with this one and "Fall." Tight harmonies and yummy guitar pickin' plus every time this song opens up I can't help but think of E.L.O (Xanadu anyone?).

Just One Of The Guys- Jenny Lewis Blunt, honest, and witty lyrics, I keep meaning to check out the rest of this album. This girl's got the ability to tell it like it is while still sounding eloquent and well-versed. 

The Writing's on the Wall- OK Go OK Go has been one of MY bands. You know, the bands you watch grow up that nobody took a second look at for years? Then everyone's obsessed and it's almost annoying (ok...it's full-on annoying) because they were your's and now their everyone's. This little ditty is one of my all-time faves because it's mature and the lyrics are profound. It almost sounds like an apology to Cathy from Jamie in The Last Five Years

My Silver Lining- First Aid Kit These young girls are ON. Whispers of ethereal melodies with a pumping "you gotta keep on keepin on" was one of my favorite jams during the 2pm hours at works.

Hayloft- Nickel Creek I know most of you probably would say Destination should be my favorite Nickel Creek track from 2014, but I just loved this experimental number. It was such a cool idea blending modern Americana with electronic pop vocals and rhythms. Mix it with their PG risque lyrics and I'm sold and ready for Nickel Creek to take this new direction to the next level!

Girls Chase Boys- Ingrid Michaelson The only way to properly listen to this song is to watch the music video.

Chandelier- Sia Another real winner from 2014, I think this was one of the few top 40 songs that showed me there was still hope left for pop. Gorgeous electropop vocals and an interesting reflection on "Party Girl" mentality, I was blown away by Sia and feel like I can listen to her hit and still find something new that I love about it.

1 comment: